121. "Who is responsible for sending out misinformation?"
"Most of the fault lies _____ the administration."
A. in B. to C. on D. with
122. People who live in a small village are bound to see a good _____ of each other.
A. sum B. quantity C. deal D. amount
123. Maria _____ missed the first train so as to travel on the same one as John.
A. deliberately B. intensively C. decisively D. objectively
124. They always kept on good _____ with their next-door neighbors for the children's sake.
A. friendship B. relations C. intentions D. terms
125. Do you think a wife should _____ her habits and tastes to those of her husband?
A. comply B. confirm C. consent D. conform
126. He was afraid that the branch might bend over and break, and he would be sent _____ to the ground.
A. crashing B. throwing C. rushing D. dropping
127. High interest rates _____ people from borrowing money.
A. discourage B. decrease C. disturb D. disgust
128. Despite their good service, most inns are less costly than hotels of _____ standards.
A. equivalent B. uniform C. alike D. likely
129. The two things are the same in outward form but different _____.
A. in addition B. in brief C. in common D. in essence
130. _____ it is a good thing I did not get the post I had applied for, though I must admit that I was disappointed at the time.
A. By the way B. In a way C. In the way D. In no way
131. _____ inviting guests and not treating them properly!
A. Strangely B. Fantastically C. Surprisingly D. Fancy
132. With sufficient scientific information a manned trip to Mars should be _____.
A. obtainable B. potential C. considerable D. feasible
133. The generation _____ makes it difficult for parents to understand their children's opinions.
A. division B. gap C. separation D. interval
134. If the boy had _____ the dog alone it wouldn't have bitten him.
A. set B. left C. had D. put
135. They were so far away that I couldn't _____ their faces clearly.
A. see through B. make up C. see off D. make out
136. Achieving a high degree of proficiency in English as a foreign language is not a mysterious _____ without scientific basis.
A. process B. practice C. procedure D. program
137. I must go now. _____, if you want that book I'll bring it next time.
A. Incidentally B. Accidentally C. Occasionally D. Subsequently
138. A completely new situation is likely to _____ when the school leaving age is raised to 16.
A. arouse B. rise C. arise D. abide
139. The illness from which Mary is suffering has now been _____ as hepatitis (肝炎).
A. diagnosed B. determined C. deduced D. discovered
140. These continual _____ in temperature make it impossible to decide what to wear.
A. alterations B. vibrations C. waves D. fluctuations
141. All foreign visitors are requested to _____ with the regulations in this area.
A. agree B. comply C. consent D. conform
142. Thomas Edison considered genius to be _____ one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
A. composed of B. constituted in C. consisted of D. comprised in
143. Although Lucy was slimming, she found cream cakes quite _____.
A. irregular B. inevitable C. incredible D. irresistible
144. In order to _____ the rising production costs, the subscription rates have been increased.
A. add up to B. look up to C. cut short D. keep up with
145. Your essay is quite good: just _____ it _____ with a few illustrations and quotations.
A. put .. up B. touch .. up C. cut .. out D. write .. off
146. I hope my teacher will take my recent illness into _____ when judging my examination.
A. regard B. account C. thought D. observation
147. There are three basic ways of _____ language to writing, and all known graphic systems use one or a combination of these.
A. committing B. attaching C. comparing D. relating
148. Roses are quite _____ flowers in English gardens.
A. ordinary B. common C. usual D. general
149. American women were _____ the right to vote until 1920 after many years of hard struggle.
A. ignored B. refused C. neglected D. denied
150. On turning the corner, we saw the road _____ steeply.
A. departing B. decreasing C. descending D. depressing
121.[答案]D. with.[注释]lie with应由.......(承担责任);(作出决定等)得靠...... 1)The responsibility lies with the driver.(责任应由这个司机承担。) 2)It lies with you to accept or reject he the proposal.(接受还是拒绝这项建议由你决定。) lie in在于： 1)The difficulty lies in their great poverty.(困难在于他们非常贫困。) 2)the solution lies in social and political reform.(解决方法在于社会政治改革。)
122.[答案]C. deal.[注释]see a good deal of each other 经常见面。
123.[答案]A. deliberately.[注释]deliberately(=on purpose, intentionally)故意地;存心地。
124.[答案]D. terms.[注释]keep (be) on good terms with与......和睦相处。
125.[答案]D. conform.[注释]conform vi遵守，符号：All the students must conform to the rules.(全体学生必须遵守规章。)conform sth. to sth. else(vt)使符合：He conformed the plans to the new specifications.(他使这些集合符合新规范。) comply with遵守;confirm使坚定，确认，证实;consent (to)同意，赞同。
126.[答案]A. crashing.[注释]crash(to the ground)猛跌(到地上)。Crash n.
常指飞机等的“失事”，如：He was killed in an aircraft crash.(他在飞机失事中丧生。)本句中用falling不妥，fall指“落下，掉下”，本身并不强调落下的速度，而crash使“猛跌”，故本题用crashing最佳。
127.[答案]A. discourage[注释]discourage sb. from doing sth.使认为某事不值得做：Tht wet weather discouraged people from going to the sports meeting.(下雨天使人觉得不值得去看运动会。)
128.[答案]A. equivalent.[注释]equivalent相等的，相当的：He exchanged his pounds for the equivalent amount of dollars. uniform 相同的,一样的。Likely adj.很可能的，有希望的。Alike(表语形容词)相同的，相象的。
129.[答案]D. in essence.[注释]in essence本质上;in addition此外;in brief简短地，简言之;in common共同。
130.[答案]B. In a way.[注释]in a way(-to some extent)在某种程度上;in no way决不;by the way 顺便提一下;in the way 碍事。此题不能选by the way，因为by the way 做插入语其后应加逗号。
131.[答案]D. Fancy.[注释]fancy doing 没想到.......竟然：1)Fancy your him!(没想到你竟然认识他!) 2)Fancy spending the day in here!(没想到竟在这里过了一天!)本题译文：没想到邀请了客人竟没有好好招待!
132.[答案]D. feasible.[注释]feasible(=that can be done)可行的，可做到的：1)Your plan sounds quite feasible.(你的计划听起来很可行。) 2)It's not feasible to make the trip in one day.(一天内要进行这次旅行是做不到的。)obtainable可得到的;considerable相当的，可观的;potential潜在的，可能的。
133.[答案]B. gap.[注释]generation gap 代沟。
division分，划分;separation分开;interval间隔，间隙;(幕间或工间)休息。at intervals 不时，时时
134.[答案]B. left.[注释]leave sb./sth. alone不惹，不管，不碰：Leave the box alone.(别碰那个盒子。)
135.[答案]D. make out.[注释]make out(=identify and see with effort or difficulty)辨认出。see through参阅Ⅲ，151,注释:此处see through还可表示“看穿......(=understand the real meaning of or reason for; realize the falseness of)”： 1)The teacher saw through the boy's story of having to help at home. (=The teacher knew his story was not true; it was just an excuse.) 2) He can't fool her. She sees him through every time.
see off送行;make up构成，组成，拼凑;弥补，赔偿;化装，编造：1)编造：John made up the joke about the talking dog. 2)弥补：Bob must make up the work he missed. 3)凑足： We need one more to make up the dozen. 4)化装： The actors were making up when we arrived. 5)构成：Nine players make up a team.
136.[答案]A. process.[注释]process(=connected series of actions, or series of operations) 过程：By what process is cloth made form wool?(经过什么过程羊毛织成呢料?)practice(=the doing of something of, performance or repeated exercise, etc.)实习，练习;开业: She is doing her practice at the piano.(她在练习弹钢琴。)procedure(=the regular order of doing things)程序：the usual procedure at a meeting(开会的通常程序)。Program(=plan of what is to be done or list of items or events)课程，计划，大纲：What is the program for tomorrow ?(明天上什么课?)
137.[答案]A. Incidentally.[注释]incidentally(=by the way)附带地，顺便：Fred said, incidentally, that he had no dinner.(顺便提一下，福来德那时说，他还没吃晚饭。)accidentally(=by chance)偶然地：I met with an old friend of mine accidentally last week.(上星期我偶然碰到一位老朋友。)occasionally (=from time to time, not regularly)不时地，偶尔：We get visitors here occasionally.(我们偶尔在此接游客。)subsequently(=afterwards, later) At first we thought we would go; but subsequently we learned we were needed at home.(起初,我们想离开;但随后我们得知家里需要我们。)
138.[答案]C. arise.[注释]arise(=come into being, appear, happen)产生，发生：Difficulties will arise as we do the work.(我们做这项工作时将会发生困难。)arouse 唤起，激起，唤醒;rise 上升;abide (by)遵守。
139.[答案]A. diagnosed.[注释]diagnose...as 把......诊断为......。本题译文：玛丽的病现已诊断为肝炎。
141.[答案]B. comply.[注释]comply with(=act in accordance with a demand, order, rule, etc.)遵守：People who refuse to comply with the law will be punished.(拒绝遵守法律者将受到惩罚。)conform(to)使一致，符合;conform to rules符合规则;conform to the customs of society(遵从社会习俗);consent to 同意，赞同;consent to a plan(赞同计划)。
142.[答案]A. composed of.
[注释]be composed of由......组成。Consist of由......组成，是不及物动词，不能用被动语态，故不合题意。
143. [答案] D. irresistible[注释]irresistible不可抵抗的，诱人的，1)I had a irresistible desire to run away,2)I can't refuse this offer; it is irresistible.
Irregular 不规律的, 不合规则的：1)the trains from here are irregular.(这里发的火车是不规律的。) 2)These procedures are highly irregular.(这些程序是非常不合规矩的。)
incredible 不可避免的，不可信的：1)Old superstitions are incredible to educated people.(旧的迷信对受过教育的人来说是不可信的。)2)His story of rescuing six drowning men is incredible.(他说他救了6个溺水者，这是难以置信的。)
inevitable 不可避免的：1)Traffic delays are inevitable at a holiday weekend.(假日周末交通耽搁是难免的。)2)Pain is Inevitable when one breaks a bone.(骨折是疼痛是难避免的。)
144.[答案]D. keep up with.[注释] keep up with跟上。参阅。88注释。Add up to参阅.2注释;cut short 详见.38;look up to(=admire, respect)赞美，尊敬：We look up to the old workers as our teacher.(我们把这位老工人尊为我们的老师。)本题中rates意为“价格，费用”。
145.[答案]B. touch up.[注释] touch up(=improve or perfect by small additional strokes or alterations)润色，修饰：1)The last part of the article needs to be touched up.(这篇文章的最后一部分需要润色。) 2)He touched up the picture by strengthening and shadows.(他把画修饰了一下，使光明部分和阴暗部分的对比度更鲜明。)put up留宿;cut out 删掉;write off报销，勾消。
[注释] take sth. into account(=consider)考虑到：We must take local conditions into accoutn.
[注释] commit...to 托付，交付：1)He was committed to the care of his aunt.(他被托付给他的姨妈照管。) 2)I have already committed the rules to memory.(我早已记住这些规则了。)commit sth. to writing(把......写下来)。
148.[答案]B. common.[注释]common(=usual and ordinary; happening of found often and in many places)普通的;常见的;常常发生的;到处可见的：a common experience(普通的经历);a common tree(常见的树木)。This bird is common throughout Europe.(这种鸟在欧洲很常见。)They can treat most of the common diseases.(他们能治疗大多数常见病。)usual(=done, found, used or existing most of the time) 经常的，通常的，惯例的，习以为常的;强调时间习惯方面，例如：This is the usual state of the house.(这房子里平常就是这种样子。)ordinary正常的，普通的，正常的;an ordinary day(平凡的一天)，ordinary people(普通人), a piece of ordinary dance music(一首普通的舞曲)。General普通的。它与common比较，语气稍强，含有很少例外的意外?？杉咎庵杏胏ommon是最佳的选择。
149.[答案]D. denied.[注释] deny 1)否认：A. He didn't deny the facts. B. They couldn't deny that it was a serious blow to them. C. He denied having ever there.(他否认曾到过那里。) 2)(=say 'no' to a request; refuse to give sth. asked for or needed)不给予;Lots of people were denied the right to vote.(许多人被剥夺了选举权。)He denies his wife nothing.(他对他的妻子有求必应。)
150.[答案]C. descending.[注释] descend(=come or go down)走下来;传下来：1)He descended from the top of the mountain. 2)Are men descended from apes?(人是不是猿的后代?)depress 压抑，使沮丧。Depart出发，起程。