271. Although hehasn't any formal qualifications, Betas _____ to do well for himself.
A. managed B. succeeded C. arranged D. convinced
272. The family is a cooperative enterprise for which it is difficult to _____ rules, because each family needs to work out its own ways to deal with its own problems.
A. set up B. put down C. keep up D. lay down
273. After a short holiday, he _____ himself once more to his studies.
A. applied B. converted C. engaged D. exerted
274. She felt _____ of having asked such a silly question when the audience couldn't help laughing.
A. guilty B. crazy C. miserable D. ashamed
275. The driver can adjust the heating in winter and the air conditioning in summer to suit his own _____.
A. leisure B. preference C. convenience D. selection
276. There is not much time left; So I'll tell you about it _____.
A. in detail B. in brief C. in short D. in all
277. She got married although her parents had not given her their _____.
A. allowance B. consent C. permit D. appreciation
278. The rain was heavy and _____ the land was flooded.
A. consequently B. constantly C. continuously D. consistently
279. Magnificent views over the countryside have often _____ people to write poems.
A. convinced B. inspired C. induced D. attracted
280. From the cheers and shouts of _____, I gathered that he was winning the race.
A. stimulus B. urgency C. encouragement D. promotion
281. She once again went through her composition carefully to _____ all spelling mistakes from it.
A.withdraw B.abandon C.diminish D.eliminate
282. When the little child caught sight of the young woman _____ in white he started brawling immediately.
A. dressed B. wearing C. worn D. putting on
283. Some areas, _____ their severe weather conditions, are hardly populated.
A. due to B. but for C. in spite of D.with relation to
284. Many university courses are not really _____ to the needs of students or their future employers.
A.associated B. relative C. geared D. sufficient
285. If we can _____ our present difficulties, then everything should be all right.
A. get off B. come across C. come over D. get over
286. Be careful how you _____ that jug, it will break very easily.
A. pour B. operate C. handle D. employ
287. We suddenly saw the bus about to leave and had to run _____ to catch it.
A. hardly B. awkwardly C. hard D. strongly
288. He hated the war so much that he decided to leave the army _____.
A. for long B. once in a while C. for good D. once upon a time
289. This year the farmers were just able to gather in the _____ before the fine weather came to an end.
A. collection B. harvest C. flower D. plant
290. A successful scientist needs _____ if he wants to make hypothesis (假设) of how processes work and how events take place.
A. permission B. penetration C. imagination D. convention
291. Tell your brother to come _____, because it's going to rain in a minute or two.
A. indoors B. outdoors C. outward D. inwards
292. I can't advise you what to do. You must use your own _____.
A. opinion B. guesswork C. justice D. judgment
293. Because of the poor harvest, wheat prices have _____ in the last six months.
A. added B. jumped C. amounted D. developed
294. There is a 20 minute parking _____ here, so we must get back to the car very quickly.
A. freedom B. limit C. allowance D. prohibition
295.The country needs a _____ government. We have had three Prime Ministers in a year.
A. stationary B. changeless C.constant D.stable
296. Having said he would mend the clock, he discovered that he had not brought the _____ tools for the job.
A. concise B. correct C. right D. precise
297. Radium salts, which have been found to _____ in bones, give rise to cancers of the bone.
A. pile up B. build up C. keep up D. pull up
298. It has been laid down that each student must _____ a composition to the teacher once a week.
A. turn in B. give up C. put forward D. bring out
299. Our house is the most _____ one in the street; it is painted red.
A. permanent B.indifferent C.predominant D. prominent
300. I shall take you back to Beijing _____ you are well enough to travel.
A. presently B. promptly C. immediately D. shortly
271.[答案]a. managed.[注释]manage to do sth.(=succeed in doing sth.)设法做成某事：1)He managed to escape to South America.(他设法逃到了南美。) 2)We managed to get what we wanted, anyhow.(我们反正设法得到了需要的东西。) 3)Do you suppose you can manage to get me a passport?(你能设法给我弄到一份护照吗?)
本题译文：虽然他没有正式的资力，但他收入很多。Do well for oneself吃香，收入多，改善自己的社会地位。
272.[答案]D. lay down.[注释]lay down制定。参阅Ⅲ，97注释。
273.[答案]A. applied.[注释]apply oneself to“致力于”。Apply one's mind to(专心于)。Apply to sb. for aid(向某人求援)。Apply a theory to practice(把理论应用于实践)。
274.[答案]D. ashamed.[注释] be ashamed of因......感到羞耻，惭愧：1)He is ashamed of what he was done.2)She felt ashamed of having done so little.(=She felt ashamed that she had done so little.) 3)John was ashamed to ask for help.(他不好意思向人求助。) 4)Jim was ashamed to have troubled me with so many questions.Be guilty of犯有......罪，过失：1)He was found guilty. 2)I am not guilty of this crime.
275.[答案]B. preference.[注释]preference偏爱，更加喜欢：My preference is for beef rather than for lamb.(我更喜欢牛肉面不是羊肉。)
276.[答案]B. in brief.[注释]in brief(=in a few words)简短地(作状语),例如：He told me in brief what had happened.(他简短地向我讲了已发生地事情。)此处in brief等于briefly。此处，in brief(=in a word, in short)简言之(作插入语)1)It is a long letter, but in brief, he says "No".(这是一封长信，但简言之，他说“不”。) 2)John is smart, polite, and well-behaved. In brief, he is admirable.此句中in brief意为in a word 或in short. in short作插入语，其意思是in a word(总之)。In detail详细地。In all总计，总共：There are 20 in all.
277.[答案]B. consent.[注释]consent n. 同意，赞成;consent (to) vi.同意，如：consent to a plan(同意一项计划)。allowance津贴。permit执照，许可证。
278.[答案]A. consequently.[注释]consequently (as a result)因而，所以。
279.[答案]B. inspired.[注释]inspired鼓舞，激励，产生：1)His speech inspired us to try again. 2)He inspired confidence in me.(他使我产生信心。) 3)The good news inspired us with hope.(这个好消息使我们产生希望。)
280.[答案]C. encouragement.[注释]encouragement鼓励，支持：shouts of encouragement(鼓励的欢呼声)。
281.[答案]D. eliminate.[注释]eliminate(=get rid of, do away with)消除，排除，淘汰：1) Can the government eliminate poverty?(政府能否消除贫困?) 2)eliminate slang words form an essay(从文章中去掉俚语词)。
282.[答案]A. dressed.[注释]be dressed in 穿这......衣服。Wear意为“穿着”是及物动词，语法结构上与本题不符。Put on穿上，强调的动作。
283.[答案]A. due to.[注释]due to由于。有些语言专家认为due to引导的短语，在句中只能作表语，如：1)His absence was due to the storm. 2)The delay was due to heavy traffic. 3)This accident was due to his carelessness.但现代英语里due to引导的短语可以作状语用，如：He failed due to carelessness. Due to heavy traffic, he was late for an hour or so.
284.[答案]C. geared.[注释]be geared to与......相连接的，与......搭配得上的。Be relative to与......有关的：This is not relative to the accident.(这和这次事故无关。)本题意指courses(课程)是否与needs(需要)挂得上钩，而不是一般得有点关系，故应选geared.
285.[答案]D. get over.[注释]get over (difficulties)克服(困难)。
286.[答案]C. handle.[注释]handle意为“用手拿......”:Wash your hands before you handle my books.
288.[答案] C. for good.[注释] for good (=permanently)永jiu地:He says he's leaving the country for good. for long 长久地。按本题题意，用 for long 不妥。once upon a time 从前。once in a while 偶尔。
289.[答案] B. harvest.[注释] gather in “收获(庄稼)”: The farmers are gathering in the corn.
290.[答案] C. imagination.
[注释] imagination 想象力;penetration 穿透;permission 允许; convention 惯例，常规。
291.[答案] A. indoors[注释] 按句子的逻辑意思应选indoors adv. 向屋里;在屋里，inwards adv，向内，向中心，outward 向外。outdoors 是 indoors 的反义词。本文译文: 叫你兄弟进屋来，因为天马上要下雨了.
292.[答案] D judgement[注释] judgement 判断。guesswork 猜测，justice 正义，公正，ideal 理想。
293.[答案] B. jumped.[注释] jump (=rise suddenly in price) 指“(价格)暴涨”。
294.[答案] B. limit.[注释] parking limit 意为在停车场“停车的时间限制”。a 20 minutes parking limit (停车时间限制为20分钟).
295.[答案] D. stable.[注释] stable 稳定的。stationary 静止的，不变的，固定的。changeless 不变 的 ，无变化的。constant 经常不断的。
296.[答案] C. right.[注释] right 适当的，恰当的:He is the right man to do the job。(他是干这 项工作的合适人选) concise 简明扼要的，correct 正确的;exact 确切的： exact time 确切的时间，exact age 确切的年龄，exact weight 确切的重量; exact weight 确切的重量;exact information 确切的信息;exact cause 确切的原因;exact meaning 确切的意思。
297.[答案] B. build up.
[注释] build up(=accumulate) 积累。pile up 堆积。keep up 保持，维持。 pull up 停车。
298.[答案] A. turn in.[注释] turn in(=hand in) 上交。
299.[答案] D. prominent.[注释] prominent 突出的;突起的。indifferent 漠不关心的;permanent 永jiu 的;predominant 占优势的，主要的。
300.[答案] C. immediately
[注释] immediately(=directly) 作连词用，意为“一……就……”，相当于 as soon as .
301. [答案] D. ideas.[注释] idea(= thought; picture in mind)念头，思想，想法。